1000-1500W metal halide lamps or flood lights are commonly used in traditional football fields. However, the traditional lamps have the shortcoming of glare, high energy consumption, short lifespan, inconvenient installation and low color rendering index, which makes it hardly satisfy the lighting requirement of modern sports venues.
A lighting system must be installed which meets the needs of broadcasters, spectators, players and officials without spilling light into the environment and without creating a nuisance for the local community.
Lighting standards for televised events are as below.
|Level||Fuctions||Calculation towards||Vertical illuminance||Horizontal illuminance||Professional of lamps|
|Ev cam ave||Uniformity||Eh ave||Uniformity||Color temperature||color rendering|
(at pitch level)
(at pitch level)
– Vertical illuminance refers to illuminance towards a fixed or field camera position.
– Vertical illuminance uniformity for field cameras can be evaluated on a camera-by-
camera basis and variation from this standard will be considered.
– All illuminance values indicated are maintained values. A maintenance factor of
0.7 is recommended; therefore initial values will be approximately 1.4 times those
– In all classes, the glare rating is GR ≤ 50 for players on the pitch within the player
primary view angle. This glare rating is satisfied when the player view angles are satisfied.
Lighting standards for non-televised events are as below.
|Level||Functions||Horizontal illuminance||Uniformity||Lamp color
|Eh cam ave
|Ⅱ||Leagues and clubs||500||0.6||﹥4000||﹥65|
|Ⅰ||Traning and recreation||200||0.5||﹥4000||﹥65|
– All illuminance values indicated are maintained values.
– A maintenance factor of 0.70 is recommended. Initial values will therefore be
approximately 1.4 times those indicated above.
– Illuminance uniformity shall not exceed than 30% every 10 metres.
– Primary player view angles must be free of direct glare. This glare rating is satisfied
when the player view angles are satisfied.
- High mast LEDs lights or LED flood lights are commonly used for football fields. Lights can be installed on the ceiling fringe of grandstand or upright poles around the football fields.
The quantity and power of lights vary according to the lighting requirements of fields.
Typical mast layout for football fields is as below.
Post time: May-09-2020